Yayasan Inisiasi Alam Rehabilitasi Indonesia (Yayasan IAR Indonesia/YIARI) is a non-profit organisation with a focus on the rescue, rehabilitation and conservation of wildlife. Yayasan IAR Indonesia rescues and rehabilitates orangutans, macaques and slow lorises with the aim to prepare these animals for release back into their natural habitat. Yayasan IAR Indonesia also engages in education and awareness programmes that convey messages to the public to treat all animals with compassion and care.
We are currently seeking for a highly motivated and dynamic individual to fill a vacant position as Orangutan Rehabilitation and Reintroduction Project Coordinator. The selected candidate will be based at our Centre for Rescue and Conservation of Orangutan in Ketapang, West Kalimantan with frequent field site visits to our two field stations: Gunung Tarak (Ketapang) and one in Bukit Baka Bukita Raya (Sintang). The Gunung Tarak Field site has operational for 2 years, the Bukit Baka Bukita Raya is still in the planning phase. Long hours of travel are part of the job.
DETAILS OF THE POSITION IN ORGANISATION AND LOCATION
This position is a full time Coordinator position under the Senior Management Team (SMT) Level based in the Ketapang project of YIARI in Ketapang, West Kalimantan, requiring time at the reintroduction field station, with travels to meetings in Bogor, Jakarta or Pontianak, and field trips within Kalimantan.
Responsible and reporting to: Programme Manager
Communicating and coordinating with: Operation Manager
Responsible for: site staff for the Rehabilitation and Reintroduction Project, including assistant coordinators, laborers, and temporary local contractors
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Programme Manager of the Yayasan, this Coordinator is responsible for the coordination, oversight and implementation of the YIARI Orangutan Rehabilitation and Reintroduction Programme in Ketapang.
The following is an indicative list of main duties and responsibilities:
- University degree (S1) in relevant discipline (biology, forestry or equivalent);
- Good physical and mental fitness;
- Ability to keep a cool head in fast-paced, stressful situation;
- Self-motivated and able to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Ability to share knowledge and train people;
- Ability to delegate appropriately according to skills and abilities of staff;
- Judgment to know when to ask for help;
- Skills and preparedness to work in remote environments with difficult access to communication and basic needs (in the field);
- Ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision;
- Ability to liaise effectively with a largely external team of technical support staff,;
- Ability to liaise with government and non-government institutions (communities, universities, etc.)
- Proficient computer skill in various MS Office applications (excel, word, powerpoint, outlook);
- Proficient with statistical software packages (e.g., SPSS);
- Experience in behavioural observation data collection, analysis and reporting required;
- Experience in survey techniques including data analysis and reporting is advantageous;
- Strong organization skills, time management, accuracy, attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple tasks;
- Good interpersonal skills, communication skills and pleasant personality;
- English knowledge is advantageous.
- Must be a resident or willing to reside in Ketapang, West Kalimantan.
- Program implementation: implement activities as agreed by Programme Manager and Board and as stated in the year working plan;
- Assist the Manager in activity plan designing and budget estimation and control;
- Liaising and maintaining relationships with government (authorities) and non government stakeholders (community engagement, collaboration with NGO’s or other non-governmental institutions, etc.) at the field level;
- Developing and/or updating the behaviour data collection and monitoring system of orangutans pre and post release, ensuring appropriated observational data collection is conducted by the team members;
- Work together with Animal Management Team and Medical Team in preparing a reintroduction process of orangutans;
- Develop, update and implement pre/post coordinators rehabilitation and reintroduction SOPs;
- Supervise and assist the field staff in the pre- and post- release activities;
- Assist in the Implementation process of a new reintroduction station, including a camp and other needed facilities;
- Oversee (via pre/post coordinators) data collection and analysis behavioural data of orangutans pre and post released;
- Evaluate and report to Management and relevant staff the orangutan adaptation progress pre and post released;
- Assess staff training needs and post training implementation;
- Ensure site management systems are standardized and replicable;
- Gather information and data for regular donor reports (as requested by the Manager);
- Support translocation of orangutans;
- When necessary, provide support and work together with the survey team to conduct nest and habitat surveys and disseminate information;
- Help develop and oversee the Rehabilitation and Reintroduction Orangutan Database (activity and food budgets, ranging patterns, day path lengths, etc.);
- Provide support in preparing and implementing capacity building and development of the Animal Management Staff (babysitter and animal keeper) and also pre/post monitoring teams;
- Facilitate researchers or guests
Interested candidates, please send your application along with a detailed CV to:
email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
or Jalan Ketapang–Tanjungpura, RT010 Dusun Pematang Merbau, Kecamatan Muara Pawan, Ketapang 78813, Kalimantan Barat
Deadline for submission by 15th January, 2016.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.